Thursday, April 7, 2016

Two White Washstands

I'm partial to washstands. I had one as a bedside table when I was a little girl and I remember being smitten with what was hiding in the cupboard. I had some special little "treasures" to protect.


I found a washstand in my price range at the Salvation Army many years ago. It was $50.00. The pulls on it were Colonial rather than Victorian so I switched them out which cost another $50.00. The finish on it was in poor shape. It had been redone at some point but they didn't do it correctly. Any drop of liquid and the finish chipped off. 
That just didn't work for me. 
I have to have things that can get spilled on. 
Inevitably a glass of water will be left on an end table. It just happens. I don't want to be freaky about glasses and coasters.  
I decided to try to find another one for the other side of the bed in the guest room. 

A consignment store in town had one for $100.00.
  

 It was a little too match-y, match-y so I brought the new one downstairs and painted it. 



It is darling!




I love rotating items on the top for the different seasons. 



I believe that I told you that I think long and hard before I paint a piece of furniture but I knew this one would look cute white as well.



I love how white furniture shows the details but recedes into the wall. 





I'm smitten with these.



I hope you all are doing well.  
The site visit for our school's re-accreditation is next week so we are swamped
"We can do it. We can do it.  
 Katie

Linking with,
Thoughts of Home  
Savvy Southern Style 

8 comments :

  1. Your washstands are charming, Katie...and I love the white paint! You have such a lovely home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love that you changed the hardware to match the era. very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As my mother always said, if all else fails paint it white. In fact that is why my blog is named White Spray Paint.
    Thank you for sharing this at TOHOT Katie. I am so glad you are here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can do it!

    I wouldn't ever have known to call those pieces of furniture wash stands so I'm glad you told that. Painting the piece white made the cute shape stand out more. I am currently painting a table white - which is something I never do. It's scary but it's turning out great.

    Happy TOHOT. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! A good piece of furniture can work in multiple rooms. You've proved that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love washstands and seen one at Savers yesterday for less than $40 but it was already sold! I do like them white but the one I have is in great condition and don't think I'll paint. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love me some washstands as well! These are darling, love the white!!! I am actually looking for another small one for my LR! Have a blessed weekend! Cindy xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. The white paint really does enhance the details! I love the hardware on them, too. Good luck with your re-accreditation.

    ReplyDelete