Monday, November 23, 2015

Custom Christmas Stockings

I change our color scheme for Christmas almost every year. 
 I started making custom Christmas stockings from year one.
This year I made one for the living room and one for our room.



Our accent color in the living room is a blush pink inspired by some ornaments that I found during the great garage and attic clean out.
The great clean up took place in August.
Do not ask me why.
It was 110 degrees in August.
That is just how we roll around here.


The local big box craft stores didn't have much pink Christmas decor.
Hobby Lobby didn't have any fabric in the subtle blush color I was looking for. 
Joann's never has enough help at the cutting table.


The thrift store had this pink cashmere sweater for five dollars. 
 This stocking from the 1940s had a cute shape for the template. 
I cut around the antique stocking leaving about a half an inch for a seam. 


I stitched it up in no time.
The waist band became the top of the stocking.


Clip the curve in the toe and the heel so that the stocking will be smooth when it is turned inside out. 

I always stick a sprig of holly or pine in the top of the stocking. 
One of the inspiration ornaments dangles from the side. 



Just a touch of pink. 
I know that I've not gone too far with it because Bill hasn't said, "Pink!"


The other stocking is made out of some of the leftover sheeting from the quilt I made last winter. 
 Here is a sneak peek at that one.
 

That's what I've been up to. 
What's going on in your neck of the woods?
Speaking of our neck of the woods.
 Laura from Decor to Adore is hosting a luncheon and cookie exchange for Texas bloggers in our area.
I'm so excited to meet fellow Texas bloggers.



I'm off to meet my step brother and his new wife for dinner.
So fun.

 

7 comments :

  1. SO pretty and I love the pink stocking! I haven't started decorating, yet! This weekend the tree will go up and I'm going with white/silver and red.
    warmly,
    deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cashmere! Santa is going to be so impressed! I love the feel of cashmere, but I've never attempted sewing with it. You have no fear, Katie! I've knit 30 some Scandinavian Christmas stockings for extended family members, but I never hang ours up. No wonder Santa hasn't left me a new sofa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them both....so pretty!!!! We don't start decorating for Christmas until after Thanksgiving.....usually the day after. Happy Thanksgiving!!!
    ~Des

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your stockings Katie. Pink is pretty. I have several boxes of vintage pink tree ornaments, so pink for Christmas is not new. I have not hung stocking for many years ... maybe this is the year to do so. Thanks for the inspiration.
    Merry Christmas
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty in pink, Katie! Have a blast at your blogger luncheon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just popped over from your Christmas Texas Blog post to hear more about your pink sweater/stocking!! I have made a lot of stockings in my time but none lately! Thank you for the inspiration!!! And of COURSE we get our best ideas for Christmas in AUGUST!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know I love your touch of blush, Katie ;) Your stocking is perfect! Thanks for sharing at Creating Christmas!

    ReplyDelete