Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Thanksgiving or Christmas?

Hello, Darlings!
Friday is the big night. 
Does that mean you will start on Thanksgiving or Christmas decor on Saturday?
I'll start on some Thanksgiving decorating. 
Here are some images from last year.



We had an "over the river to Grandmother's house we go" theme.


I vote that we move Thanksgiving up to the 1st or 2nd Thursday of November instead of the last Thursday. 
That way we could enjoy our Christmas decor longer than we do our fall decor. 
 We'd need an act of congress but the retailers would go for it.


For years we didn't even have Thanksgiving decor.
We didn't host so I skipped right over it. That didn't work out so well in the long run. I got so sick of the Christmas trees and the "stuff" everywhere.




I've picked up a few more turkeys in the last few years even though I didn't shop early enough.

  
Last year all the Thanksgiving stuff was gone before Halloween.  



I finally found some cornucopias at Michaels.
I sprayed one white.


Using pinecones, leaves, acorns and dried flowers keeps it all within a neutral scheme.




I made another one out of chicken wire and a drop cloth


and another out of an old bed spring and burlap.



This year I'll be repurposing some small, vintage Native American dolls and a wild turkey print from an Audubon book of bird prints. I'll finally pull out the little plate that I found while out thrifting last January. (if I can find it...)



Isn't it cute?
What will you do? 
Do you decorate for Thanksgiving?
Katie  

Linking with,
Savvy Southern Style

5 comments :

  1. I just add wicker cornucopias to my mantels and a few more candles and I'm good to go. I don't like to take out too much stuff, because I like to decorate for Christmas the day after Thanksgiving. I hope you can find your pretty plate, too. I love all your vintage autumn treasures on your shelves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really decorate for Thanksgiving specifically, just generic fall. And, there's not really a lot do do for Chanukah, so I do a little bit of generic winter. But I do enjoy looking are yours! I love your homemade cornucopias!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Thanksgiving décor is so pretty!!!! The transferware turkey plate is just gorgeous....what a special piece! I am not ready for the holidays....it really snuck up on me this year!!!
    Happy Halloween!!
    ~Des

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is good to know someone is thinking about Thanksgiving. I think it is a missed holiday for decorating. I heard on tv that this friday, halloween, they are starting the christmas movies. Go to the store and you have seen christmas for months now. In my home we celebrate the next holiday and that will be Thanksgiving after halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the same white turkey. I've been painting him for a year. Maybe he will be done by TXsgiving, maybe not. Two girls with their family of four are coming for TXsgiving and we won't see them for Christmas, so we are having Christmas and Thanksgiving together for the four little ones. Chris-giving or Thanksmas. So excited, I already have all their Christmas stuff bought and ready to wrap. Can't wait to hear about your time with Joanna Gaines.

    ReplyDelete