Monday, October 7, 2013

Chocolate Cake Emergency

I had a chocolate cake emergency.
My go-to dessert after a stressful day is chocolate cake with chocolate butter cream frosting. 



 Bekah and I went to La'Madeleine for Sacher Torte on the day of the emergency.
It was good in a pinch, but I decided I needed an easy chocolate cake recipe in the event of another crisis
I didn't need a big cake because we won't eat it all.



I just needed a wee bit of chocolate cake.
I like a cocoa cake rather than an unsweetened baking chocolate cake.  



I decided to try cutting the recipe on the back of the Hershey's cocoa box in half.
I made a few changes to make it mine. 

A Wee Bit of Cake
Heat oven to 350 degrees.
Grease one 9 inch cake pan.

1 cup sugar
7/8 cup flour
3/8 cup cocoa
3/4 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg
1/4 cup half and half
3/4 cup boiling water
1/4 cup melted salted sweet cream butter
1tsp. vanilla extract



Mix together and pour into a greased and cocoa dusted cake pan. I like this pan with the thing that swings around under the cake so the cake will come out of the pan.  
I dusted it with cocoa because it doesn't leave white flour all over the bottom of the baked cake.
Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Allow cake to cool completely.

Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

2 tbsp. salted sweet cream butter
 (never, ever, ever use margarine)
1/3 cup Hersey's cocoa
2 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup half and half and water mixed.

Beat together in a mixing bowl.
If the frosting is too runny, add more powdered sugar.
If the mixture is too dry, add more half and half.
Making your own butter cream frosting is easy and it's much better than the stuff that comes in a tub. 
Even if you use a box cake mix, it's easy to make a homemade frosting. 



This cake is easy, delicious and the perfect stress reliever.
It is dense and has a deep, rich chocolate flavor.
Quite a few chocolate cakes are buttermilk cakes and this one is not. 
You can't make a spur of the moment cake if you have to run out for buttermilk!  
I rarely have milk in the house so that's why I use half and half for almost everything. 



I ate the piece after I photographed it and I was in  chocolate heaven.



I cut the rest of the pieces and put them on a cookie sheet and set them in the deep freeze.
Once they were frozen, I wrapped them in wax paper and put them in a Ziplock baggie. 
Next time I have a chocolate cake emergency, I can pull out a piece, let it thaw and find restoration.



You are probably wondering what could cause such an emergency?




Edinburg, Tx. and a heart attack.
Bill has been whisked away by an investor to work on a project near the border of Texas and Mexico. 
He has never had a job involving travel, which is exciting for him, but a change for me. It's just my adult son and I at home. We are blessed that his travel is paid for and he will be home every weekend and sometimes during the week for meetings.
This happened quickly so it was a bit of an abrupt change.
During his first few days away, my sister in law had a heart attack. 
We are grateful that she is fine, but it was a little more stress than I could deal with.
Chocolate cake was needed! 



Let me know if you give this cake a try!
What do you like to eat when you are stressed?
Katie  
Linking with,
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia  
Coastal Charm   
Savvy Southern Style   
French Country Cottage



9 comments :

  1. I'm sorry to hear about your sister-in-law, Katie. I'm glad she'll be ok. It sounds like Bill's project is pretty long term. That would put me into stress mode, too. I'll eat most anything under stress! Maybe I should make some of this emergency cake, just in case! I bet the half and half makes it extra delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His stint at the border will be temporary. Eventually he will office about 30 miles from here. It will all be worth it because he won't have to commute to downtown Dallas anymore. :)

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear about your SIL. Oh I can't imagine my husband being away...that would be difficult! That recipe is the best isn't it! I am making one for my Mothers birthday.....love that recipe!
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My SIL is back and work and feeling better. Friends and my kids are keeping me company. We are so blessed Bill is home every weekend. I know a lot of families don't have that blessing.

      Delete
  3. Chocolate can fix just about any mood, can't it?! I don't blame you for wanting something comforting and delicious. I need to start making my own frosting. It's got to be better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It tastes so much better and it doesn't have all the preservatives and stuff. :)

      Delete