Thursday, August 1, 2013

Bucket List

You will probably be sick of me by the time I am finally finished blogging about our trip to Alaska. 
I have come to the conclusion that it should be a mandatory trip for every American. 
Alaska is breathtaking!
I am sure it will be considered one of our favorite vacations.
We are so blessed and thankful to have been given the opportunity. 


Fireweed
  
We learned so much about the state, the flora and the wildlife.  

It was a bucket list experience.
Cruising wasn't on my list but
I will confess that I used to watch The Love Boat.
Those early impressions were indelibly printed on my memory. 
I fully expected there to be scads of people lined up waving goodbye to loved ones. 
There were a few.




I realized that I needed to set my Love Boat inspired notions aside until we found this in our room. 



We all celebrated as we set sail.



There is an aspect of this trip that gives impetus to other bucket list experiences. 
Most of us had the feeling that we had to do as much as we could fit in. 



A huge thrill was riding on a float plane at our first stop in Ketchikan. 



The day was foggy, cold and rainy. It was exactly the kind of weather I imagined. 
We landed on a lake and stepped out onto the floats.
 This picture taken of my husband sums it all up.



I think I may be moving to Alaska!



Magical and Beautiful!

We also took a helicopter up to the Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau. 
I have always wanted to ride in a helicopter.
It was fun, scary and exhilarating.


I was thrilled I didn't lose my lunch!




We spent about a half an hour looking around. 



and taking pictures.


Mendenhall Glacier Helicopter Tour

We also took a train up into the mountains. 
It's something I have wanted to do since I watched Jillian's season of The Bachlorette! 






I don't really care for heights.
I don't really care for risk.


White Pass Scenic Railway



I am very afraid of scenic overlooks and mountain passes.
Absolute panic attack-afraid.


White Pass Scenic Railway



For some reason these fears were never factored into whether I would do these excursions because we were in Alaska!


White Pass Scenic Railway


They were part of the bucket list.
 I've gotten some major stuff crossed off so I guess I need to add a few more things to it.
Zip lining through a rainforest?
I hope so. 
What's on your bucket list?  
Katie 

Linking with,
French Country Cottage

4 comments :

  1. The pictures of Alaska are so so beautiful, it sounds like you were having such a fun time, I went on a cruise last year and absolutely fell in love with Celebrity Cruises, I must go again the whole ship experience was so marvelous...thanks for the great shots of the trip...

    ReplyDelete
  2. As for me, I would never tire of your posts of Alaska! Your pictures are stunning! When we went many years ago, we didn't have digital cameras and most of our pictures are terrible. I'm enjoying looking at yours. Looks like it was the trip of a lifetime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got back from a bucket list trip to Alaska, too!!!! i'm super excited by this coincidence, lol. we didn't do any of that extra stuff like glacier landing (but, oh, how I wanted to!!) did you do a land tour? we started on land, and then ended in Ketchikan.

    here's my post about it, with tons of pictures-and this is just the land portion, lol.

    http://thecapeonthecorner.blogspot.com/2013/07/anniversary-trip-to-alaska-interior.html

    i'm definitely going to check out your other posts, since you mentioned you'd been talking about it for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did the opposite. We got on in Vancouver and got off at Seward. We did the land portion and flew back to Texas from Fairbanks. I agree with you about the weather. I was freezing in Skagway because I dressed wrong. The day before in Juneau-I was hot about 80 degrees. Did you sail Celebrity? It sounds like the same tour.

      Delete