Friday, March 29, 2013

"Thank you for the Cross"

Such a simple and complex thought all at the same time. 
One of my four year old students was indignant that her dad would say "Thank you for the cross." 
 
I shared with them why the cross was something to be thankful for.
The children all had the appropriate expressions of sadness and outrage that Jesus was arrested, beaten, mocked with a crown of thorns and put to death on the cross. 
I'm sure you can imagine it is a delicate balance of telling them the truth of the gospel without being too graphic. 
We talked about the nails in His feet and the spear in His side.  
Because of this little girl's comment, I gained a new appreciation for what He did in going to the cross for me. I looked at my students and said to them individually that they didn't have to go to the cross because Jesus went for them.
I don't know what it was but each of them got quiet and it was like 8 little light bulbs went off. 
The gospel became simple again and I was awestruck at the sacrifice that Jesus made for me and for the darlings I love so much.
 
I told them the sad story had a very happy ending.

"He is not here; He is risen, just as He said." Matt. 28:6.
Blessings to you at Easter!

Katie 

6 comments :

  1. Katie, Your post is so sweet today. Thanks for posting. Happy Resurrection Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely post, Katie. How can it all be so simple, yet so complex? So brutal, yet so beautiful? I'm so grateful we know the end of the story :)
    Thanks so much for your visit and sweet comment over at my place! He is risen, indeed!

    Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just beautiful! It was a happy ending indeed!
    Blessings from Still Woods Farmhouse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping. Yes. A very happy ending.

      Delete