Thursday, February 14, 2013

Shabby Music Cabinet

Oh my!
I got so much done last weekend. 
I had the urge to redo another piece of furniture. 
I have been so pleased with some my other makeovers, that I wanted to try another one. 
I also felt the room was a little off balance. 
White on one side
brown on the other.
I thought about painting my little French chair but it needs to be recaned and I haven't figured out how to do that. 
I decided a white end table would help bring balance to the room.
I've been looking at some of the local thrift and antique shops for a candidate. 

I realized that I had the perfect cabinet in my garage.
 I found this little cabinet years ago at a little thrift store. 
I think I paid $40.00 for it.
It was a creamy color when I found it but I stripped it and painted it black. 
When we started moving furniture around it ended up in the downstairs closet for my  hoard of Christmas magazines.
It was next on the list to be given to the resale shop until
 I realized that it would be perfect. It has great lines.
Usually I just prime and paint but this time I thought it needed to be stripped.
Stripping furniture is easy and I did this piece after work one afternoon.
I paint the stripper on one section at a time, let it sit for about 10 minutes and then scrape it off.
Don't let the stripper dry on the piece. It is like removing oatmeal after it has hardened in the bowl.
It took about an hour and a half.
 In between coats I caught up on Pinterest. :)
The next morning I sanded and gave it a coat of white satin oil based paint.
It needed two coats.
I let it dry over night and then put it in place.
I let it cure another night before I accessorized it.
The knobs came from Old Home Supply.
I went with new knobs instead of vintage because I wanted them nice and sparkly.





 I don't know if this was a record cabinet or a sheet music cabinet. Either way I call it the music cabinet.

I moved the spool table over to the other side of the loveseat.


I even recovered the sofa and French chair.
I will show those in another post.
I got up early this morning to admire it once again. 
There was a little friend in the garden room to enjoy it with me.

Katie 
Linking with,
French Country Cottage
The Brambleberry Cottage   
Cowgirl Up Link Party   
Funky Junk Interiors  
That DIY Party





5 comments :

  1. Isn't it amazing what white paint can do?
    It looks gorgeous and the glass knobs are like jewellery on this new lovely!!!
    Hugs,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Katie, What a change you have made to what appeared to be a dull piece of furniture....and to finish it off... some gorgeous door knobs. I love it.
    Best Wishes
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent Katie! And I think that is the cutest tea pot I've ever seen - just adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your room is beautiful Katie!What a pretty piece!LOVE the white and works perfect in there.
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the white paint- it really brightens up the piece and shows off its pretty details.

    ReplyDelete