Monday, January 23, 2012

Pantry Clean Up

We are still in the midst of nesting the empty nest. I know that expectant moms nest before the birth. I have never heard of anyone nesting an empty one, but it seems that is what we are doing. 
I showed you all the picture of our pantry immediately after the last chick left. 
It has been the most ridiculous and frustrating pantry in the 18 years we have lived here. The shelves are not very deep and not one shelf is tall enough to stand up a cereal box. Are you kidding me? A four bedroom house. Apparently the builder didn't think the children living in three of the bedrooms would want to eat cereal. I am not a morning person. One of the first things I taught my children once they were weaned was how to pour their own cereal. 
I am kidding! (sort of) 
I cleaned out all the stale crackers and the expired cans of sweetened condensed milk. I don't know why I had 3 cans of it. I guess I thought that the zombies would want 7 layer cookies during the apocalypse. That is my new excuse for having too much of something. I can just tell Mr. Bill that the zombies need a lot of pillows on the couch and bed when they arrive. (That sounded very southern when I read that back to myself)

I raided all my cupboards for any baskets, bins and containers. I also stopped by my local thrift for anything they had. I promise that a trip to the dollar tree or the thrift can yield enough containers for stuff. 
These were $11.00. I loved the lined ones. I missed that bandwagon in the retail shops because I was too cheap. So I was happy to find these cute lined baskets. I popped the liners in the wash and  I gave the baskets a run through the faucet with some Clorox Clean Up. They were clean and didn't look used, but I still wanted to spruce them up. 
Mr. Bill gave me these tags as a stocking stuffer.I wasn't sure what I would do with them. Bill would like me to open a shop, but I don't see that happening. I thought they would look cute labeling baskets of like items. 
Here are some shots of the pantry after just a few hours shopping for baskets, pitching expired items and cleaning. I just relined the shelves last summer so fortunately I didn't need to do that. 
I love my sprinkles corralled together! 
 Bill's breakfast bars. No, I don't cook him breakfast. 
He thought he was getting that kind of wife. Poor man, he has also suffered because I am not a morning person. I can't even speak until I have had some coffee. 
I love my Vera Bradley shopping tote. It is hanging on a galvanized hook I found while hiking. I felt very "farm chicks" when I found it. I have been in a very galvanized mood lately so it fit right in. 
I collect these 1950's cross stitch aprons. They are hanging on a "over the door" hook. I have used them occasionally and they are a fun pop of vintage. 
It was a quick fix for a very dysfunctional space. 

There is still more I want to do. I would like to get an old door like this one.
I told you about this blog I love.  http://downtoearthstyle.blogspot.com/ 
This woman is a genius repurposer and I love that she builds things herself. 

I will update pictures of the pantry if I can talk Mr. Bill into going on a "date" to the home restoration warehouse.

I hope you have a happy Monday. Go ahead and do some organizing today.

Here is how my amaryllis looked in full bloom. 


Sprinkled with baskets and organization,
Katie

No comments :

Post a Comment