Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Charleston Single Houses

Charleston became a bucket list destination for me when I started reading Southern Living Magazine. 
Many issues of that publication had the city of Charleston as a feature.

Single House, Charleston

The iconic Charleston Single House was featured many times as well. 
It soon became one of my favorite types of architecture and I wanted to see this iconic and unique style in person. 

Single House, Charleston

It didn't disappoint. 
A Charleston single house is one room wide on the street side but can be several rooms deep.    

Single House, Charleston

The "front" door actually leads to the piazza or porch. 
The actual front door to the dwelling is in the center of the porch.

Single House, Charleston

I saw examples by car, bus, horse drawn carriage and on foot. 
The piazza or porch proved irresistible to me to the extent that I dreamed I had such a porch. 

Single House, Charleston

 Two legends float around town for the origination of the style. 
One theory relates to the taxation of a dwelling. 

Single House, Charleston

The narrow front view would have cost less in taxes. 
This story is circulated at the welcome center and by tour guides. 
Many say that this is a myth. 

Single House, Charleston

 Another theory attributes the style to that of dwellings in Barbados. 

Single House, Charleston

Most historical experts believe that the windows and covered porches took advantage of the prevailing winds. 

Single House, Charleston

Let me tell you, Charleston is hot.
The humidity was stifling.
I imagine that the early residents needed to take advantage of any breeze afforded to them. 

Single House, Charleston


The city was a walled city. 
Charleston dates back to 1663. 
It was the site of Revolutionary War skirmishes as well as Civil War battles. 
The long and narrow lots allowed more residents and it offered protection. 


It has sustained many fires, hurricanes and a major earthquake. 
This city is resilient.

Single House, Charleston

It is charming

Single House, Charleston

and darling. 

Single House, Charleston

I saw one gentleman enjoying the Saturday morning paper and coffee from the comfort of his piazza.



Many of these home overlook fabulous walled gardens or courtyards.

Single House, Charleston

Can you imagine?
Gorgeous!
Katie 

Linking with, 
Between Naps on the Porch
Savvy Southern Style 
The Essence Of Home 

6 comments :

  1. Don't you just love to see architecture in different places? We've never been to Charleston but we've been to Savannah. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Savannah too is a place I would like to visit. Love your post with touch of history.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Charleston when i got to see it in my youth. The homes, th patios. It's where i first fell in love with ferns too. The way they swing in the breeze...I buy at least one for my porch every year.

    Loving your tribute to the beautiful city. Couldn't ya just spend hours on any of those porches?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charleston was on my bucket list and Terry and I went a few years ago in September for our anniversary. It was fabulous. To walk those streets at night knowing President Washington and the likes walked those very streets. So much history. The front doors all tell a history of each home too. The Piazza or the sleeping porches as they are sometimes called are so the residents could survive the stiffling heat of the south during the summer for sleeping. We stayed in a guest house in the back of one of those block homes and had our own private garden and pool. It was fabulous. The owners lived in the front of the home. So many of those homes had slave quarters that are now guest houses to the main home. Just loved it there. Sorry to go on but I know you had a great time in that beautiful city. Hope you did some of the ghost tours.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never been to the south or the east coast at all but would love to travel to those areas someday. The beauty of those homes, oh what a joy to visit, I'm sure. I'm so happy that you were able to do something special from your bucket list! Blessings for a wonderful weekend! Cindy xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such gorgeous pictures. I love those type of houses and dream of owning one with the beautiful porches and pretty gardens. It looks like you had a great time on your trip, thanks for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete