Sunday, September 13, 2015

A Little Early Fall In The Sunroom

Sometimes I stop and think and I'm once again shocked that any of you come back and read my blog. 
You just don't know how much it means to me. 
Thank you for coming by. 

Bill was sick Labor Day Weekend.
After the third day of action films, I escaped the guns and the violence and headed to the garden room where I could shut the door! 
Ahhh, blessed silence.   

When we redecorated the garden room last winter, I loaded the dish dresser full of our 
Johnson Brothers' Denmark dinnerware. 


I wondered what to do with it for fall.
While I liked the idea of orange pumpkins with blue and white, in the end I decided it just wasn't me. 
Warmer tones were in order.
I unloaded all the blue, unearthed the brown and packed the blue away. 
One of my top thrift stores buys was an amazing set of Florentine by Crown Ducal creamware for only about $40.00.
It was a service for 12!  
I love the fruit and flowers around the band. 
It makes a perfect base for some brown transferware.


I've been collecting transferware since the late 90s. 
As you can see, it has been a slow collection to build. It is very difficult to find at an affordable price. 
Affordable, in my definition, is around $10.00 a plate.


This warm and lovely neutral will make a great backdrop for pumpkins and turkeys in the coming months. 



It may even stay for Christmas. 






Bill made the dish dresser for me during the 80s. 
It was patterned after a Welsh dresser we saw in a magazine. 


He'd like me to retire it because his woodworking skills have improved since then but this is a special piece. 
It was one of the first things he ever built. 


Not every wife can ask, "Honey, can you build me....?"



I've had the terrarium for a long time.
It comes in and out of my rotation as a display piece.  



The brown dishes have been put away for almost two years and they have never been out in the sunroom.




I love it.

17 comments :

  1. it's perfect for Fall, Katie, brown's my favorite, and I love that pic with the mix and match creamers and cups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brown transferware couldn't be better for Fall. Hope you'll update us as you add pumpkins and such. I'm a rooster/chicken person myself so I'll be watching for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Katie. I started some fall decor today too. Still summer here but I did get out the box. Love how you styled your shelves with the brown transferware. So pretty.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. As you know, I love your blue & white dishes, but your brown transferware is perfect for this time of year. I'd never retire your cupboard made by your hubby! It's the perfect display piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely display! I collect transferware too, and sell it as well, and $10 a plate is definitely hard to come by, but I love that you're building a collection (gorgeous!) over time this way. The terrarium looks great with your vignette. It is all so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty! I've recently put my brown on display too. I love it that you're keeping the first piece your husband made! ~Ann
    Tarnished Royalty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your hutch looks so charming! I am pinning it!!

    Big Texas Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have some beautiful pieces!! And that wonderful hutch......lucky girl....!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just beautiful Katie - and I love how you've decorated the terrarium - perfection !
    Hope your hubs is feeling better ( tell him action movies are bad for whatever ails him ! )
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  10. Katie,
    This is a gorgeous piece and your husband did an amazing job!!!
    I agree. . .this display could easily transition through the Seasons with little change!!!
    Thank you for sharing and inspiring!!!
    I appreciated your sweet comment and visit today!!!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the dish dresser... and the dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the terrarium! Oh, the possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is my first time to visit and sure did enjoy it. Your brown transfer ware is beautiful and so perfect for Fall. Love
    how you have accessorized everything it all looks wonderful. Especially like how you did your terrarium, I have a
    verdi green one, and am always looking for ideas of what to put in it. Typically I have used pinecones, acorns and
    fall leaves or Christmas balls and pinecones, and something else can remember now what it was..........lol

    Thanks for sharing this with us,, it was a treat!
    Blessings, Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yea, and meant to say I really love your dish cabinet your hubby made, yea, I would not be getting rid of that
    either..........it is a very special piece, not to mention it is a beauty.
    blessings, Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  15. What I like and spotted right off was your little brown and white calico pitcher. I have the entire blue and white set in that pattern. It sure looks good with your brown ans white transferware

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your beautiful brown transferware collection! Visiting from Show & Share!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the brown transfer ware, and look fab in your sunroom! Thanks for linking up at Best of the Weekend!

    ReplyDelete