Sunday, March 1, 2015

Shabby Coverlet Revealed


I wanted a coverlet and pillow cases in a shabby chic fabric for spring.



I couldn't find anything either at Target or Walmart so I decided to stitch up exactly what I wanted.
Tuesday Morning had just gotten a shipment of sheet sets in different spring pastels.


I immediately put the pillow cases on the pillows. 
I used the top sheet to make the coverlet. 
The fitted sheet will be great for extra decorative throw pillows. 


I made a big sandwich with the top sheet, another white flat sheet for the bottom with the batting in-between.
Find the complete directions here.


At this point I could have left it "as is" but if this ever needed to be washed, the batting would end up in a big clump. 
I've made that mistake before and I have no desire to repeat it.


Rather than try to machine or hand quilt this thing, 
I decided to tack it all over with inch long runs made with the sewing machine. 



The tacks are spaced about 6 inches apart.



Now all the layers are held in place. 








The sheet set was $29.99
The white sheet for the bottom was $8.97.
The batting was $11.97.




I will be making some accent pillows out of the fitted sheet soon. 
Our new coverlet adds a touch of spring now that winter weather has come to Texas.


We had an ice storm Monday morning with Thunder Sleet. 
The schools were closed Monday and Tuesday.
It snowed for several hours on Wednesday.
We had flurries on Thursday.
We had 3 or so inches on Friday which caused havoc when the schools dismissed early. 
 We are supposed to have highs in the 70s on Tuesday and then more sleet on Wednesday. 
There are no snow plows in our area so the best they usually do is some kind of de-icing mixture on the bridges and overpasses.
We will be more than ready when spring finally arrives.



How is the weather in your neck of the woods?

Katie   
Linking with,
Between Naps on the Porch   
Fridays Unfolded Link Party 
A Stroll Thru Life  
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia  
Coastal Charm  
The Scoop
Savvy Southern Style
Common Ground  
From My Front Porch to Yours
French Country Cottage
Funky Junk Interiors
Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson





13 comments :

  1. Hi Katie, I often wish I had a sewing machine so I could put together sweet items like your coverlet! It's a nice set for spring and summer lightness! I too have very dark bedroom furniture so I try to keep all of my bedding light/white! Blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our weather is freezing -well, well below freezing cold....but not so much snow. I guess we have a few inches coming on Tuesday.
    I love the coverlet you made, Katie. The color is so pretty and springy. It turned out great. I make things out of sheets, too. It is the cheapest source of material out there if you can find something you like. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your new bedding looks so pretty to welcome spring to your home, Katie! Sorry your weather isn't cooperating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the coverlet you made, Katie...so pretty!! The pillows are lovely as well. All is very nicely done!!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  5. Soooooo, pretty. Love it. Great job. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katie,
    This is so pretty. Great job to make one on your own. We are getting some of that crazy freezing rain tomorrow mixed with snow. We are use to this up in Chicago land but I am so over this stuff. They are predicting a warmer week next week. I hope so would really love so see Spring come. Have a great start to the week ahead.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did a wonderful job Katie. The bedroom is beautiful! So calm and serene...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your bed looks beautiful, Katie, and all for such a great price. Our snow has melted just in time for a new onslaught. So ready for spring. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the coverlet you made using sheets. You bed/bedroom looks so pretty. The print on the bed adds such a nice touch of charm. I can't wait for winter to be over here in IL, it's been a long cold, snowy one. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Katie that is one beautiful coverlet!! Thank you for sharing it at THT.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, this just looks beautiful! I feel like I am looking at a "Bed and Breakfast" bedroom! Wonderful job, I wish I could sew! Thanks for sharing. Leticia

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it Katie! The floral is so sweet and I like how you tacked it every so often. Such a pretty breath of Spring! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful Katie !!!
    Wish I could manipulate a sewing machine :(
    And I'm always stunned when I see snow in Texas !
    Looks like Montreal lol - the melting has officially begun here ♥

    ReplyDelete