Friday, February 27, 2015

The Old Rugged Cross


The radical group of the Islamic faith called Christians "the people of the cross" in their shocking video last week.
They also call them Nazarenes. 
I'm sure they think that this is a slur of some type.
I don't think they realize the power of that cross or 
maybe they do which is why it is such a threat to them.
 The Bible states that Christians will be persecuted for their faith. 
They will and have been since the time of Jesus.


It may seem odd to people why people of faith display the cross. 
Would we display an electric chair if that was the method of punishment at the time?

The cross symbolizes power.


The power of life over death.
The power of forgiveness of sin.
The power of joy over hopelessness.
The power of hope in the midst of despair.
At least that what it is for me.


There has always been the persecuted church. 
Video taping the execution of it takes things to a new level of brutality. 


Instead of making me cower in fear of this new Islamic state, it makes me want to display my cross, wear my cross and speak about the cross. 
It has pushed me into the Bible. 
It has catapulted me into prayer for those that know the Nazarene and for those that don't.
It has made me appreciate the liberties and freedoms we have as Christians in this country. 
I couldn't wait to get to church on Sunday.


I sprinkled a few crosses about the other day. 




"In fact, the law requires that nearly everything be cleansed with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness."  Heb. 9:22





"This is the one who came by water an blood--Jesus Christ. he did not come by water only, but by water and blood."
1 John 5:6





"And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death--even death on a cross." Phil 2:8




So rather than cower in fear as I'm sure was their intent, I say "bring it". 
The bravery of the Christians in the Middle East has been inspiring. 
I pray it will cause revival in our world.
200 more Christians have been kidnapped by this group, many have been taken from their homes and live as exiles. Young girls have been sold as slaves and kindergarten age boys have begun an education of hate. 
Other extreme groups are killing people of other faiths. 
Let us not be silent. 
We don't want to be a world that sits back and watches this from afar.
That is what happened with the Holocaust.
Be in prayer my friends. 
People of faith are a target. 
Katie 















3 comments :

  1. Good morning, Kate,
    Wonderful post...well said!
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post, Katie. Yes- those that follow the cross will always be persecuted and shamed. It is a truth that has followed from generation to generation. The current situation is just one more nail in the cross-so to speak. Sad.

    The Old Rugged Cross was my father's favorite hymn and one he asked that be played at his funeral. I love it, too xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. In total agreement. You post is wonderful. Thank you...

    ReplyDelete