Friday, November 21, 2014

"Nailed It" Gingerbread House

Have you seen the "Nailed It" pins on Pinterest?
Well it happened to me.
I had visions! 
Visions, not of sugarplums, but visions of a darling gingerbread house.
Similar to the ones on this blog. 
Her Christmas displays are magical so spend some time poking around her site.
Anyway,
I knew that I wouldn't be able to pull off baking a gingerbread house and getting it to stay together, so a kit seemed like the best option.
The grocery store had one in the bakery department. 
How hard could it be? 
Since we wouldn't be eating ours, I used a glue gun to glue it together.
Perfect.


It even fixed the cracked gingerbread base and front.
I really should have called it a night because everything was going too perfectly but my vision kept calling out to me. 


Oh the icing. What a sticky, gloppy confection.
It was everywhere.


The roof went pretty well.


Then the hole in the bag kept getting plugged up.


Finally, I moved the rest of the icing to a Zip Lock baggie.


It started oozing out of tiny holes in the side of the baggie.
A gallon sized baggie was better but still not great.
 I added some water but it was too wet at this point.
It was like lake effect snow in Buffalo. 
It was late. I was tired. I didn't care anymore.


Pinterest had some hilarious "Nailed It" gingerbread pins. 
They made me laugh out loud at my own primitive attempt.
Decorating birthday cakes when the kids were little used to frustrate me. 
They always looked terrible. 
Cake or "House" decorating is just not my forte.
I can accept that.


How long do you suppose this will last before it goes in the trash?
I hope you have a wonderful weekend. 
May all your endeavors be successful.

6 comments :

  1. great share!! I have a cricuit cake machine & couldn't get the fodant right & just rolled the orange fondant into smiley face grin. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh I'm laughing so hard I have tears rolling down my face, not at your gingerbread house, I think yours turned out beautifully. I'm laughing at the ones with the caved in roofs. I can't tell you how many times that's happened to me. One year I over estimated my gingerbread making abilities and I built a sprawling gingerbread "mansion" (bigger is better, right?) the next morning it had become so soggy with the weight of the icing on such a large roof that it collapsed into a mushy brown heap. Even my small ones end up soggy. Thanks for the laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie, this is so funny! I think yours looks pretty darn good compared to those others-lol! Hey, at least you tried!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. the glue gun idea was genius...if this can be of any comfort. Compared to some other ones, yours at least is still standing

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm laughing with you, not at you, Katie! he he I think you've cured me of wanting to make one of those gorgeous gingerbread houses I see on all the Scandinavian blogs. I took a cake decorating class when our girls were little, but I quit making cakes when my girls told me I was a crabby birthday mom when I was decorating them. I still hate frosting to this day.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete