Saturday, September 20, 2014

Layering a Bedroom With Color

Jonnie moved back in for a spell last year.
The room was a blank slate when he moved out in May.


I scraped the popcorn from the ceiling, touched up the wall color and bought two white valances from Walmart.
I thought about going with yellow for an accent color but that would require spending money. 
Shopping the house was a better option because I just didn't want to spend any money in here. 
After some contemplation, this vintage painting set the tone for the room. 


Even though it is damaged, I love this painting. 

 The room needed a lamp.



Bill got the lamp for me for my birthday quite a few years ago. We found it at Hobby Lobby. 



In order to bring color to the all white bedding, I brought green accent pillows up from the garden room. The quilt came from my grandmother. I found it in the attic as a teenager and took it to college with me. I believe it is from the 1930s based on the color scheme. 
The final touch is a little needlepoint pillow stitched by my mom. It was a chair cover that got damaged along the edges after so many years of use. I freshened it up by making it into a pillow.



My great grandfather made the bed for my mom when she was a little girl and it's my favorite thing in the house. 


I draped another green quilt from the same era over my garage sale chair.  The tin barn came from the thrift store last year. 
The tea table came from my grandparent's house. The ice cream table tucked underneath belonged to my brothers and I as children.



Bill and I got the armoire at an auction. It is a tad big in here but Bill has vowed that he will never move this piece again. Getting bonked in the head with the bonnet top was probably the last straw so I guess I'll have to hire someone to help me move it if it ever gets relocated.
It has the best storage of anything I've ever seen so it makes up for the fact that this house has terrible linen closets. 
I love the spool organizer with the antique quilts. 
The colors of the different spools mirror the colors on the quilt. 

The antique horse prints were on the gallery wall in the hall coming up the stairs. They didn't get put back up after painting the stairwell.


After 21 years they needed a new locale and this room is perfect. We made the coat rack for the boys when they were little.



The cosmetic case came from a garage sale eons ago. 
I used it (and got made fun of) for many years but I love it. The tin sand pail was a recent antique store find. I've wanted one forever and finally found one at a price I was willing to pay. 


The dresser was my first antique. I took the plunge and painted it white last spring. It has such cute lines and I'm crazy about the way that it recedes into the wall making the room look a little bigger. 
I can't quite figure out which mirror I like best so I'm still playing. 



There you have it. When I decorate a space, I start with a blank canvas and then shop the house for anything in a color scheme. 
I layer it in and then decide when to stop.
The trick is not hiding stuff from yourself when shopping the house. I used to stash stuff everywhere but lately I've worked harder to be a little more intentional and organized about where I'm stashing decor items.


 This room has always been one of my favorite rooms in the house because it has beautiful light throughout the day.
Thanks for stopping in our little guest room. 
Look at my Great Guest Rooms board on Pinterest. 



I love it decorated in shades of green.
Katie 
   
Linking with,

A Stroll Thru Life 
The Scoop   
Inspire Me Monday   
Coastal Charm   
Savvy Southern Style

7 comments :

  1. I love what you've done. Everything looks so fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bed is gorgeous! I love those shades of turquoise and green. It was a great idea to keep it white. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a very sweet room, Katie. I can see why you love the bed and your armoire is gorgeous. Love the pretty quilts too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all the family pieces you've added to the room for color, Katie! Your wardrobe is a fabulous piece and I don't think it looks too big for the room at all. Your cosmetic case and quilts are fun colorful accents. Love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your guest room is so pretty.....I love all the heirlooms you have used in there.
    ~Des

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you added the color in such gorgeous and subtle ways. Fabulous. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cozy little bedroom. I love the bed! I love decorating with vintage finds. They give a room a sense of history and makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

    ReplyDelete