Saturday, February 15, 2014

Master Bedroom Chandelier

 I told you how much I love chandeliers.
When I found this one in someone's trash, I was thrilled. I love these gilded, Italian chandeliers.


I knew it would be great for our bedroom.
We needed to take a bold step - one that we may regret in August. We were taking down the ceiling fan.


I knew I needed to rewire the chandelier because it had woven fabric covered wire. I just hoped that the arms worked.



I took off the bottom, snaked new wiring through



 and stripped the ends of the plastic wire cover. 



One end went to the group of black wires and one to the group of white wires. 



Just make sure that none of the wires in either group become separated. Then one or more of your arms may not work. I tested it by wiring a lamp cord onto it and plugged it in.



Bill helped me hang it. 





It's even prettier than I thought it would be.  



Putting the crystals back on is the best part. 





Our room is on the second floor and each of us has used an oscillating fan at our bedside in addition to the ceiling fan. 


This summer I will get us some cute, vintage looking matching fans. 



Our ceiling fan was ugly and didn't move the air very well. 
It was too far away from our bed to do much good. 



I love it!


With replacement parts and a canopy kit, we only spent about $25.00 on it.


What do you think?
Are we crazy?
I don't think I'll miss the ceiling fan but I'll update you this 
summer.
Katie    
Linking with,

Coastal Charm   
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia  
A Stroll Thru Life   
Cedar Hill Farmhouse   
Savvy Southern Style    
French Country Cottage   
Thrifty Groove   
The Charm of Home    
Funky Junk Interiors













   

24 comments :

  1. I am gonna go out on a limb here and suggest an air conditioning unit! lol I LOVE the looks of that chandelier. it might be worth sweating over! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That may be the next step. We have central air but for some reason our room is hot in the summer and cold in the winter.

      Delete
  2. Simply stunning in your room. Good for you on the electrical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diane. I started with lamps and then moved up to chandeliers.

      Delete
  3. I love the way the chandy looks in your room!! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so pretty! So is your bed. Well, we can't live without our ceiling fan especially in the summer. You could always get one of those pretty antique looking fans if you have to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is pretty...It is amazing what you can find that people throw away. Lucky you!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am considering replacing my ceiling fan with a chandelier too. My bedroom has a similar tray ceiling so I was so glad to see how fantastic your beautiful chandelier looks. What a fantastic find!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This room is so charming. I love the picture above your bed and the furniture is to die for.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty, but I wanted to see it lit..........lol
    Your bedroom is very cozy and pretty too..........and it goes well, much better than the ceiling fan.
    Love your chaise lounge, so cute.....and love what you did above your bed, that is very unique,
    different and clever not to mention beautiful...........

    Blessings and enjoy that chandy,
    Nellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all the compliments, Nellie. My husband installed the dimmer switch this weekend, so now I can get a picture of it lit. :)

      Delete
  9. Beautiful! (May be get a second fan for the Summer, lol!) Jane

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow, what a fabulous chandy and it looks amazing in your bedroom. Love it. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your chandelier is gorgeous, as is your room! I'm always scared to death to mess with wiring...but there's so many pretty "trash" lights out there to tempt me to! I don't blame you a bit for taking down the fan!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Someone threw that away?? That is just plain crazy, but lucky for you. It is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! I can't believe someone threw this away! I am so glad you found it and brought it back to its beauty! thank you for sharing at TTF. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh now that is just fabulous....and what a bonus someone was foolish enough to throw it away. No way you will regret replacing that ceiling fan (even in Aug).

    Kelly @ http://babioledewindsor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Katie, I'm sorry it took me so long to see this! It looks so wonderful in your pretty bedroom. I bet you are just loving laying in bed and staring at it! (haha) I have a similar dilemma with mine (actually I picked up a second one at a thrift shop this past week, also) I would LOVE to take down the ugly ceiling fan in my bedroom, but it gets really hot in my upstairs room, even with a/c. And also being a renter, I'm not sure about taking down the fan knowing I'll have to put it back up if I ever move. I guess I'm hoping you'll tell me it's worth it! : )

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great find. I admire that you did the rewiring yourself. Your bedroom is very pretty. Hopefully, you will still be pleased this summer. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  17. FREE??? Wow, what a find! It looks so pretty in your bedroom. I am in awe of the fact that you knew how to wire it :) So happy to see you featured on Savvy Southern Style! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW....S C O R E!! What a wonderful find, your room is gorgeous and the chandelier is such a great focal point. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. The chandelier really adds a lot of character to your bedroom! We don't have central air and our bedrooms get pretty warm in the summer, so ceiling fans are a must in our old house. I think vintage looking oscillating fans will do the trick in your room with the high ceilings. Great new look!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just found your blog and I am in love with your master bedroom! It is so crisp and clean and cozy and just beautiful! The chandelier was a great find! Love it!

    ReplyDelete