Saturday, November 24, 2012

Smitten With Plaid

In 1995 I was smitten by an image in the December issue of Victoria Magazine.
I was captivated by plaid pillowcases and needlepoint pillows.

I embarked on a quest for both which turned out to be more difficult than I thought.
 Beautiful plaid without too much yellow is hard to come by.  
I only shopped at thrift stores, garage sales and Walmart way back then.
This is such a timeless, classic look, I am incorporating a bit of it for Christmas. 

Plaid and Needlepoint


I found this Dress Stewart last Christmas. 
It was a heavily pleated skirt. 
I think I paid $2.99 for it.
I took it to my cleaners and had it cleaned and pressed. 
When I asked them to press out the pleats, they thought I was a little crazy 
but
I knew it would stitch up into the cutest pillows.


 
A week or so ago I found this Black Stewart looking wool at Joann Fabrics. 

 It was the only wool in stock that would work for Christmas decorating. 


I have incorporated the Skotch Kooler we inherited from Bill's granny.
Skotch Kooler
On the other side of the room,
I created a vignette with my lone plaid mug and some Spode Christmas tree cups. 
Spode-Christmas Tree and Plaid 



I love, love the vintage picnic basket from my mother-in-law.

Plaid is in some years and out others.
 I really couldn't find much cute tartan this Christmas.
I think it is just so sought after  that people don't ever give it away.


Loving it in the sunroom!
I can't wait to show you the guest room. 
Sprinkled with plaid,
Katie  
Linking with,
Funky Junk Interiors  
French Country Cottage  
The Brambleberry Cottage  
Savvy Southern Style  
Debbie Doos Pinterest Pinnng Party  
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia

32 comments :

  1. Hi Katie, I'm with you on plaids - I never tire of any style of it - love your pillows, esp that little flower felt pillow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I picked that up years ago at a craft mall. The only one in the neighborhood still in business. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. I love plaids too! Great job, visiting from party @ French Country Cottage. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post has me swooning, Katie! We love the same things, I have the cooler, and the lantern and a few of the same plaids, too :) Yesterday I unearthed my plaid duvet cover, and couldn't get it on the bed fast enough. I adore how you have paired the plaids with the florals and the toiles! Love love love all of it!
    xo, Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Andrea. I can't wait to see more of your house decorated for Christmas.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful and timeless!!
    I love it!!
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are right, there's not much of it out there in thrift stores because it is so classic. I got a virgin wool throw from Canada off eBay a few years ago before the prices went sky high, even trying to buy it in July when I hoped it would be cheaper! When I see tartan skirts or blazers at Goodwill I get them, even if they're a size 2 and I'm definitely not. I love to just hang them in my dressing room but making pillow covers of them is a good idea. Can't get enough of plaid or tartan! Love your mix of the patterns with the Spode cups!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a cute idea. I never thought of that. It sounds like you have a darling dressing room.

      Delete
  6. I love all of your plaid pillows and the needlepoint pillow. Lovely vignettes too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just snatched up some plaid suiting fabric in a big sale at my local fabric store and I was worried about using too much. You have shown me that more than one can be used and it all works! It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather. I wasn't sure about mixing either but I love it.

      Delete
  8. I have a Skotch Cooler just like yours! Not a family piece though, just a good antique store find.

    Very romantic, Ralph Lauren-like work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. loving all your pillows and plaids. I've kept a couple pair of old pj bottoms from when plaid was popular (80's maybe?) thinking some winter I will turn them into a home decoration. Now I think I'll be keeping an eye out for other plaid clothes in thrift shops. thanks for the tip and the tour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.J. bottoms would be great. My daughter has a little dress we kept from 1989. I think I had a plaid jumper and some pajamas too.

      Delete
  10. I love all of your plaid touches throughout your home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brandi. Thank you for taking time to stop in and leave a comment.

      Delete
  11. How beautiful this is!!! I am also mad about plaid and use it throughout my home....I've cut strips of plaid wool to make wreaths too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea. I bought some red shop towels to make one, but I hid them from myself. :)
      If I find them, I will add some plaid.

      Delete
  12. What a lovely space! It looks so warm and cozy and inviting! I love all the plaid and the beautiful red roses! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maria. It is one of our favorite spots.

      Delete
  13. All this plaid is so cozy...your room makes me feel Christmas-y : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debra. It was the first Christmas decor I did this year.

      Delete
  14. I remember that issue of Victoria and I l-o-v-e-d the plaid! Thanks for reminding me of that. I love tartan but don't have nearly enough of it around. :) Must keep an eye out for more tartan finds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anne. It is one of those items that you almost have to look for year round because it is so hard to find at the holidays. Merry Christmas.

      Delete
  15. Visiting and pinning from Fox Hollow Cottage. Beautiful post!

    Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeanette. I love your home and I am following you too. I'm also following your pin boards. Thanks for stopping by and pinning so many from this room. :)

      Delete