Friday, September 7, 2012

Crafting Fabric Pumpkins

Hello every one. 
I hope you are having a wonderful Friday.
Whoo hoo!
I have so many fun projects planned for this weekend.
Now that I am back teaching school full time...
 I don't have as much time for crafting and blogging. 


Labor Day Weekend was all about crafting for 
my sister- in -law, Amy and I while the rest of the family enjoyed the lake.


I wanted to make the most of my time off last weekend and Amy had to work on her nodders,
It seemed like a plan to load up the sewing machine and craft supplies and head out of town for the weekend.

I have mentioned the nodders and
how we got them at First Monday Trade Days.

I have been working on those and will reveal a couple of my them in another post. 


So,

Amy and I ran to the Walmart in town because her Walmart doesn't carry fabric and she didn't want to spend 8 bucks a yard for calico at another retailer! 
I thought all Walmart store had a fabric department.
I picked up some fun stuff too.

Here is our work station.



We pretty much commandeered the kitchen table.
It was nice and big and the light was good.
We worked on pumpkins and owls.
I will give more detailed instructions about those later.
Fabric owls
So far my pumpkins have been very smushy and casual.
Fabric pumpkins
Not at all like real pumpkins. I am not patient enough for that.
Amy wanted hers to be more tailored.
 She is much more patient than I am.
We came up with a pattern to make the wedges of the pumpkin and she went from there.
She used all of her calicoes and got this cutie.
Walmart Fabric
She also combined calico and  burlap for a casual look.
Finally, she made three identical pumpkins for her nodders.

All her cute pumpkins will be the foundation for her fall decorating at the lake.
So fun.
Are you not just wild about her old silver? She found that on one of our antiquing jaunts.

I went with white, black and lime for something I hadn't done before.
I had been seeing all these cute white pumpkins on Pinterest.


One of my fall vignettes will be this color scheme.

We worked for the better part two days 
and these are our treasures.

 Banke's Owl


I tried making a raven. The first two tries were a complete fail. My niece called one of them a dove. 
??
I will have to come up with a new story;
"The Legend Of the Halloween Dove."
It will be a best seller just like my; 
"Legend of the Christmas Cockroach."
I'll have to tell you that one later.
It's a long story involving my foot in my mouth.

We had a great time crafting. 
Craft Mania 2012 was tons of fun!





25 comments :

  1. Katie,
    LOVE those owls and pumpkins!What a fun day!
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was Anne. Thank you for stopping in and leaving a comment.

      Delete
  2. O MY!!

    I LOVE these pumpkins and owls!! So cute!!! Great decorating idea!!

    Thanks so much for stopping by!

    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie. I can't wait to see what you have been up to for Christmas.
      Katie

      Delete
  3. So cute - I love the look of mixing all those different fabric pieces. Such a fun project - I'd love for you to share it at my MightyCrafty Mondays link party: http://mightycrafty.blogspot.com/search/label/MightyCrafty%20Mondays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pinned and loved. Thank you for sharing at MightyCrafty Mondays!

      Delete
    2. Thank you Lissa. It is nice to have pinners visit.
      :)

      Delete
  4. It looks like you did have a really fun day! They are all so cute!! My favorites are the owls! I'm visiting from Fox Hollow Cottage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pumpkins and owls they are so cute.... Visiting from Debbidos Pinterest Party...

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are soooo cute! Thank you for sharing. Visiting from 1929 Charmer. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House which goes live at 8am CST Monday. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  7. You may not have gotten much done the last few, but you sure got a lot done over the weekend girls! Love the owls, love the pumpkins and yes I even like the "dove". Great color schemes, and happy you both had a good time. I wish I had a sewing "friend". Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration with Sunday’s Best – you helped make the party a success!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the first post I've seen all season to really get my excited and inspired to get busy creating! I love the fabrics, the textures and the springs--nodders? I've never heard them called that! I sure hope I can find some....somewhere! Will have to hit the antique shop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheree. Thank you for stopping by. I hope you can find some.
      Katie

      Delete
  9. Very cute! The pumpkins and owls all have their own special look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carlene. I think I am going to make an all white one for Christmas.
      Katie
      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  10. Those owls are so cute! I am a follower of your blog and would love if you could hop over to my blog (http://sarahsaturdiy.blogspot.com/) and share the blog love. Have a happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those owls are soooooo sweet! Love 'em!

    <3 Christina at I Gotta Create!
    Wildly Original linky party is open.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I will stop by your linky party. Thanks for hosting.

      Delete
  12. Love your owls and pumpkins! They are adorable and I've been dying to use burlap in a project. Hoping you will share a pattern for them? Found you at My 1929 Charmer and I'm your newest follower.

    Jeanette @ www.craftyincrosby.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am working on a tutorial now. I hope to have it up by the end of the week.
      Katie

      Delete