Monday, February 13, 2012

Last Minute Valentine's Day Stuff

Oh my gravy! I think I am in heaven with this cupcake recipe. 
I have been on a cupcake kick since Christmas. The cupcake is a perfect size and since they seem to freeze well, I can put them in the freezer and defrost one for dessert. They are perfect for Mr. Bill. They don't have too many carbs. (Almost had a blogger fail! Spell check would not have caught crabs. Big difference in meaning!) Ha ha.

I wanted to do some cupcakes for my team and thought chocolate with these cute cupcake liners would be fun. Of course I needed Valentine sprinkles. I got these at Michaels. 

Beware these are from a cake recipe called Black Magic Cake!
1 3/4 c flour
2c sugar
3/4 c cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
1tsp baking powder
1tsp salt
2 large eggs
1 cup black coffee-luke warm
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1tsp vanilla

Mix and beat 2 minutes
Use a soup ladle to spoon into cupcake liners. I filled the cupcakes 3/4ths full. Some of them leaked over. This batter is super thin and it made a mess!
 I promise it is worth it though.
Bake a dozen at a time @ 350 degrees until cake tester comes out clean. 
15 -18minutes. Test after 15 minutes.  
It made two dozen cupcakes.
Some of them looked like this.

Clearly I filled it too full.

I made the chocolate frosting that was in the recipe in the link. I did not like it. It said to cool the melted chocolate. When I made the frosting it had tiny chips in it and it tasted way too sweet or something.
I threw that away and started again. 
1/2 cup cocoa. I use Hersey's
2 cups powdered sugar
3/4 stick butter
2 Tablespoons water
1/4 tsp vanilla
Mix well. Add more water or powdered sugar until you get a spreadable consistency. This frosting has a wonderful hint of chocolate without going over the top. 
I put the frosting in a bag and piped it. I'm not sure they were the prettiest cupcakes I have ever seen. 
The cake is very glossy so I am not sure I like it showing.   
While the cupcakes were baking, I made these tags from 25 cent hearts also from Michaels. I painted them with chalkboard paint.  

When they were dry, I drilled small holes and threaded ribbon through them. I wrote a little message and tied them onto to the bagged cupcakes.   





I thought I was in heaven when I tasted this cupcake. They are moist and rich but not too doughy. 
They really are Black Magic though, because they caused me to not eat my supper. 
Sprinkled with cocoa, 

1 comment :

  1. Oh, yummy, I am so hungry now! Thanks for sharing, visiting from between naps on the porch.

    ReplyDelete